- Always be punctual. If you have a conflict, comply with Alabama Supreme Court Order regarding conflicts.
- Male attorneys - suit and tie or dress pants, coat and tie
- Female attorneys - suit, dress with long sleeves or jacket (avoid sleeveless, low cut tops, capri pants or short skirts)
- Stand when the Judge enters and exits the Courtroom.
- Identify yourself for the record and state the name of your client.
- Refrain from reading a newspaper if you sit inside the Bar of the Courtroom.
- Counsel are responsible for advising their clients and witnesses as to the proper Courtroom behavior and attire.
- Any contact with the Court regarding hearings should be with the Courtroom Deputy and not with the Law Clerk.
During a trial or a hearing:
- Address others by title and surname
- Stand when addressing the Court unless otherwise instructed or approved
- Request permission to approach either the witness or the Bench
- After providing exhibit to witness, return to podium, do not hover over the witness
- Hand exhibits to the Courtroom Deputy
- All cell phones or other devices must be off or silent.
- All settlement negotiations or other discussions should take place in the hall and outside the Courtroom.