The information below is intended to answer common questions from pro se bankruptcy filers (persons filing their own cases without attorneys) and is not legal advice. This information is subject to change without notice.
IMPORTANT: If you are thinking of filing a bankruptcy petition without an attorney, you should read Filing for Bankruptcy Without an Attorney. This web page has been provided by the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts' Judges Advisory Group and contains information to consider before filing a petition along with links to other helpful resources.
Chapter 7 - "Liquidation"
A chapter 7 case is the liquidation or selling off of your non-exempt property for payment to the creditors from the proceeds.
An original of the following is required when filing a chapter 7:
- Notice to Individual Consumer Debtor(s)*
- (Form B101) Voluntary Petition for Individuals Filing For Bankruptcy
- (Form B121) Your Statement About Your Social Security Number(s),* (Individuals Only) and not available to public
- (Form B101) - Individual Debtor's Statement of Compliance With Credit Counseling and Certificate of Credit Counseling (or Certificate of Exigent Circumstance or Motion for Exemption) (Individuals Only)
- Fees - a payment due at time of filing* or an Application to Pay Filing Fee in Installments (Form B103A) or Application for Waiver of the Chapter 7 Filing Fee (Form B103B)
- (Form B106-Summary) A Summary of Your Assets and Liabilities and Certain Statistical Information
- (Form B106) Schedules A/B-J
- (Form B107) Your Statement of Financial Affairs for Individuals for Individuals Filing for Bankruptcy
- (Form B108) Statement of Intention for Individuals Filing Under Chapter 7
- (Form B119) Bankruptcy Petition Preparer’s Notice, Declaration, and Signature if applicable
- (Form 2800) Disclosure of Compensation of Bankruptcy Petition Preparer (if applicable)
- (Form B122A) Statement of Your Current Monthly Income
- (Director’s Form 2030) Disclosure of Compensation of Attorney for Debtor
- Summary of Schedules and Statistical Summary of Certain Liabilities
- Schedules A through J
- List of Creditors - Mailing Matrix*
- Statement of Financial Affairs
- Statement of Intention (Individuals Only)
- Disclosure Statement of Bankruptcy Petition Preparer (Form B280), if applicable
- Copies of Payment Advices (earning statement, pay stubs, etc.) for last sixty days with only the last four digits of Social Security Number
*You must file the minimum requirements to initiate a bankruptcy case.
IMPORTANT: Failure to comply with the filing requirements or missing deadlines may result in your case being dismissed and loss of bankruptcy protection. Please read.