Procedural Questions

  • How do I obtain a copy of the Court’s list of unclaimed funds?

    The Northern District of Alabama does not provide a listing of unclaimed funds on our website.  The information can be obtained by searching CM/ECF transactions filed by the trustee entitled “Trustee’s Report of Unclaimed Funds” within each case.

  • What county is chosen when the party resides in a county that is not on the pick list?
    Select "County outside NDAL" or Select "County outside USA".
  • When opening a new petition and discovering that the debtor's name is spelled incorrectly, can the BACK button be used to correct the spelling?
    The BACK button cannot be used to correct the debtor's party record. A corrective entry is required to notify the Court of the needed change.
  • What information should be entered in the "Party Text" field on the create a party screen?
    Party Text should contain additional information about the party and appears on the Docket Report both internally and externally. Example: Debtor, Alabama Land and Title, Party Text: an Alabama Corporation.
  • What does "hwi" and "wwi" indicate when adding alias information?
    hwi: Husband with interest; wwi: Wife with interest.
  • When "Maintaining User Account", are there REQUIRED fields?
    Yes, they are not marked. However, when you submit, the system prompts you for REQUIRED information.
  • Why must attorneys submit the B21 Form-Statement of Social Security Number as a separate event?
    To comply with FRBP Rule 1007(f), the debtor(s) must submit Form B21 stating under penalty of perjury their full social security numbers. This form is for Court use only and cannot be viewed by the public. The Court requires that this form be printed, signed by the debtor(s), scanned as a PDF file, and associated with the "Private" entry "Social Security-Form B21."
  • Are signatures required on claims filed?
    No, the electronic signature "/s/Jane Doe" will constitute the filing signature.
  • Why must attorneys submit the Chapter 13 Plan Summary as a separate event?
    The Chapter 13 Plan Summary must be submitted separately in order for a confirmation hearing date to be listed on the 341 notice. The Court also mails the Chapter 13 Plan Summary to all parties in the case through the Bankruptcy Noticing Center (BNC).
  • I have just been issued a User ID and password from the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama, but I cannot log into the system.
    Make sure you are logging into our Live CM/ECF system ( and not our Test CM/ECF System. Also, if you are already logged in and the system is asking for your Pacer login, you will need to supply your Pacer ID and password. If you do not have a Pacer ID, you may contact the Pacer Service Center (
  • My email address has changed. How do I change it in the system?
    You may make this modification in ECF by going to the Utilities Menu > Maintain Your ECF Account .  Select the "Email Information Button." After making the modifications on that screen, select the "Return to Account Screen" button, then select the "Submit" button. At this point, the modifications will be incorporated into your Person Record.
  • How is the requirement of an original signature (Attorney and/or debtor) handled for CM/ECF cases?
    There are two distinct issues: attorney signatures and debtor signatures. When registering to use the system, attorneys sign an agreement that use of their login name and password (whether by themselves personally or by delegation to another person in their office) constitutes their signature on the documents electronically filed. For documents that must be signed by the debtor (such as petitions, lists, schedules, statements, etc.), originally executed paper copies must be kept by the debtor's attorney for four years after the closing of the case. The electronically filed documents indicate a signature, e.g., /s/Jane Doe. For more information on this topic, see the Administrative Procedures for Filing, Signing, Retaining, and Verfication of Pleadings and Papers in the Case Management/ Electronic Case Filing (CM/ECF) System.
  • What should an attorney do if the documents they are filing are not listed in the pick list?
    If the document is not in the pick list, use the generic motion/application or notice events.
  • What happens if a document is filed in error?
    Most errors will be immediately transmitted through the real time electronic notices and access to the docket report.  Deletions of entries to the docket or associated pdf documents are very rare, if ever. CM/ECF allows Court personnel to edit errors made in the docket entry. Besides making the appropriate corrections, the Court may ask participants to submit amended pleadings or a corrective entry. Instances that affect calendar entries and noticing will need to be redocketed.
  • How can I ensure that I attached the correct pdf when I am filing a document?
    When you select Browse to locate your file, highlight the filename, right click, and select "open" to open the pdf file. This is your chance to view the document and make sure it is the correct pdf before you attach it.
  • How do I change my password for the ECF system?
    Using your Court assigned ID and Password, Logon to CM/ECF Live Systen at After a successful logon, select the Utilities Menu > Maintain your ECF Account. Once your account window opens, select the More User Information Tab. Change your password in this window, and change ONLY your password. Click on Return to Account Screen, and select Submit for your password to be properly changed.
  • What is the procedure for filing a sealed document?

    If you have a document that you wish to be placed under seal, you may file the appropriate motion to seal before the document is actually filed with the court. You would access our CM/ECF system, select Bankruptcy > Motions/Applications > In Camera. You will attach your motion which should explain why you are requesting this document be placed under seal. You will deliver the document you wish to be sealed to the appropriate judge along with a copy of the filed motion. This will need to be marked "Private and Confidential". The motion will be set for hearing. Following the hearing, the judge will enter an order. If the order grants your motion, then the judge will deliver the document to be placed under seal to the Division Supervisor. The Court will then follow the appropriate procedures for sealing the document.