The information below is intended to answer common questions from pro se bankruptcy filers (persons filing their own cases without attorneys) and is not legal advice. This information is subject to change without notice.
IMPORTANT: If you are thinking of filing a bankruptcy petition without an attorney, you should read Filing for Bankruptcy Without an Attorney. This web page has been provided by the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts' Judges Advisory Group and contains information to consider before filing a petition along with links to other helpful resources.
Chapter 11 - "Reorganization"
A chapter 11 case provides you the opportunity to reorganize or readjust debts through a plan or contract with creditors. Creditors are allowed to vote on the plan, and the plan must be approved by the Court. Individuals and most businesses can file a petition under chapter 11.
An original of the following is required when filing a chapter 11:
- (Form B101) Voluntary Petition for Individuals Filing For Bankruptcy *
- (Form B101) - Individual Debtor's Statement of Compliance With Credit Counseling and Certificate of Credit Counseling (or Certificate of Exigent Circumstance or Motion for Exemption) (Individuals Only)
- (Form B106-Summary) A Summary of Your Assets and Liabilities and Certain Statistical Information
- (Form B106) Schedules A/B-J
- (Form 104) List of Creditors Who Have the 20 Largest Unsecured Claims Against You and Are Not Insiders
- (Form B107) Your Statement of Financial Affairs for Individuals for Individuals Filing for Bankruptcy
- (Form B119) Bankruptcy Petition Preparer’s Notice, Declaration, and Signature if applicable
- (Form B121) Your Statement About Your Social Security Number(s)* (Individuals Only) and not available to public
- (Form B122B) Statement of Current Monthly Income
- List of Creditors - Mailing Matrix*
- List of Creditors Holding 20 Largest Unsecured Claims*
- Small Business: Balance Sheet, Statement of Operations, Cash-flow Statement, Income Tax Return*
- ( Director’s Form 2800) Disclosure of Compensation of Bankruptcy Petition Preparer if applicable
- List of Equity Security Holders
*You must file the minimum requirements to initiate a bankruptcy case.
IMPORTANT: Failure to comply with the filing requirements or missing deadlines may result in your case being dismissed and loss of bankruptcy protection. Please read.